Application Deadline: March 9th, 2017
Please send your CV and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday March 9th, 2017 (and 1st soft deadline for early selection will take place on March 7th, so early submitters have better chance to get an interview)
Who are CityNet interns?
CityNet offers the opportunity to work in a variety of fields depending on the position. CityNet team is small which means that interns usually can connect and learn from most areas of the organization. While we are looking for individuals who have focused experience and skills in one of these areas, interns will be expected to take part in a variety of tasks.
Interns typically work 30-40 hours per week, providing research and administrative support to CityNet’s current projects and day-to-day office functions, depending on program needs and the intern’s availability. Please note that all positions are unpaid.
What do interns gain?
- Exposure to an international organization and network
- Experience in a diversity of areas of an international development organization
- Opportunity to expose themselves to a wide range of urban stakeholders in Asia Pacific through CityNet blog, or on occasion attending CityNet or partner events.
- Experience to work in a multicultural environment.
- Last semesters of Bachelor or Graduate school student majoring in marketing, public policy, urban development, international relations, business management, education, environmental studies or related field
- Interest in urban issues and/or international development
- Excellent spoken and written English
- Pro-active and able to work independently
- Good communication skills
- Experience in sales, marketing or fundraising would be an asset
Intern Expected Tasks:
Urban SDG Knowledge Platform (25%)
Support in linking our Urban SDG Knowledge Platform to different urban stakeholders. This might include
- Connecting with cities to encourage them to contribute to the platform
- Review/edit cities policies to match the Urban SDG Knowledge Platform quality standard
- Connect with experts/organizations to encourage them to contribute to the platform
- Support in partnering with other knowledge platforms and/or organizations to enrich the services provided by the Urban SDG Knowledge Platform
CityNet Congress 2017 (40%)
In 2017, CityNet will host his Congress again. This is CityNet’s biggest event which takes place every 4 years, and for this reason it requires detailed preparation. Some of the activities the intern will be supporting in relationship with this event are:
- Support in identifying, contacting and following up with potential sponsors, as well as to prepare materials to contact and attract potential sponsors.
- Help develop the program both providing ideas on interesting themes, provide ideas to solve overlaps/logistical challenges in the program, and support in identifying, contacting and following up with potential speakers
Capacity Building (15%)
CityNet organizes several workshop and training programs for local government officials in Asia, which makes it possible that the intern will be asked to support on these programs. Typically this would involve the following activities
- Support in communicating and following up with participants, including drafting letters, requesting and organizing documents, budget travel expenses (flights, accommodations), and keeping track of the participants status.
- Help in developing materials for the workshop such as drafting program book, reports, organizing presentations, among others
- Support in reaching other partners in relationship to the workshop such as contacting potential guest speakers, or drafting promotion materials
There are always unexpected tasks that might require the support of the intern. These are usually diverse administrative tasks, but often they go along the following lines:
- Contact CityNet members
- Draft letters
- Support on preparing or researching about grant proposals
- Research and write blog posts
- Summarize reports
Timeline and stipend:
- Interviews will be arranged for potential candidates on the 2nd half of the 2nd week of March, and beginning of 3rd week of March
- Start Date: to be agreed, but the sooner the better
- Expected commitment: 30-40 hours/week (full time) for 3-4 months
- Stipend: 10,000 won / day