CityNet Secretariat 2017 Internship Program(Operations Team)Terms of Reference
Application Deadline: July 14, 2017
CityNet is the largest association of urban stakeholders committed to sustainable development in the Asia Pacific region. Established in 1987 with the support of UNESCAP, UNDP and UN-Habitat, the Network of cities has grown to include 136 municipalities, NGOs, private companies and research centers. We connect actors, exchange knowledge and build commitment to more sustainable and resilient cities. Through capacity building, city-to-city cooperation and tangible projects, we help our members respond to Climate Change, Disaster, the Sustainable Development Goals and rising Infrastructure demands.
CityNet Internship Opportunity
The CityNet Secretariat is looking for a qualified intern to serve at the CityNet Secretariat during 2017. Internships will be for a minimum period of six months. The main objectives of the internship are to 1) Assist in the preparation for the CityNet Congress and Executive Committee Meetings to be held in November 2017, 2) Support with CityNet membership management, and 3) Assist in the accounting activities.
Undergraduate students (especially upperclassmen), graduate students, and recent college graduates majoring in public policy, public administration, urban development, international relations, business management, environmental studies or related fields are encouraged to apply. Successful applicants will balance high-level research and database management proficiency with strong writing skills.
Interns typically work 30-40 hours per week, providing research and administrative support to CityNet’s current projects and day-to-day office functions, depending on operational needs and the intern’s availability. Please note that all positions are unpaid. However, a small subsidy for commute and meals may be provided.
Daily responsibilities will depend on the individual’s background and interests as well as the Secretariat’s priority work streams. Duties may include but are not limited to:
- Support preparation activities for the CityNet Congress and Executive Committee Meetings in November 2017; content preparation, editing of agenda paper and letters, communication, and other activities as needed
- Assist in collecting membership fees
- Contact members and update the contact information based on personnel changes and elections
- Edit and Translate the CityNet institutional documents (Korean/English)
- Assist in accounting activities; bi-annual closing, preparation of accounting vouchers, scanning SMG subsidy accounting vouchers, etc.
- Undertake any other relevant tasks assigned by the Director of Operations
- Bachelor’s degree candidates (Master’s preferred) majoring in public policy, public administration, urban development, international relations, business management, environmental studies or related field
- Excellent spoken and written English
- Experience working with governments or international organizations preferred
- Event management and budget management experience preferred
- Language ability in a CityNet member native language preferred (including Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Tagalog, Indonesian, Nepali, Tamil, Sinhala, Mandarin, Bengali, Hindi, Vietnamese, Thai, Khmer, Malay, Lao, Marati, Urdu, and Mongolian)
Assessment Method and Timeline:
- Application Deadline: July 14, 2017
- Interviews: Within July, 2017
- Starting Date: ASAP
- Term: 6 months (30-40 hours/week, Full-time, long-term commitment preferred)
Please submit your CV and cover letter as one PDF to Ms. Hyoshin Lee at email@example.com by July 14, 2017 with “CityNet 2017 Operations Team Internship” as the subject. Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.