The next quadrennial CityNet Congress will be held in 2021 consisting of the 40th Session of the Executive Committee, 9th General Council, Mayor’s Forum/International Forum, the 41st Session of the Executive Committee, and site visits. Through this Congress, CityNet elects its Main Office Bearers for the period of 2022-2025 comprising President, Vice Presidents, Executive Committee, Secretary General, Auditor, and Election Committee for the forthcoming election.
CityNet Secretariat is now preparing for the 2021 Congress and encouraging its members to contact the CityNet Secretariat for further information to bid in hosting the event.
Benefits for the CityNet Congress host city include:
- Showcase the city’s best practices to international urban stakeholders
- Highlight the city’s cultural and historical heritage
- Put the city as a champion of sustainable development worldwide
- Show the city’s commitment in establishing people-centered, sustainable and resilient urban development for the management of human settlement internationally
- Network and form partnerships with other city leaders, international partner organizations, and business leaders
- Opportunities to showcase its sustainable development activities to local, national and global audiences
- Opportunities to build capacity in the urban development by connecting city officials with experts and organizations from the Asia Pacific and the other regions
- International exposure among the local governments and international organizations
- Local, national and international media coverage by featuring their initiatives on a global stage
- Benefits to local business from the tourism-related revenue of hosting 300+ international and domestic participants throughout the duration of the Congress
- Bidding cities are also welcome to suggest and explore other benefits in the preparation of the CityNet Congress.
Previous partners that contributed to the 2017 CityNet Congress held in Colombo, Sri Lanka, included UNESCAP, UN-Habitat, Global Green Growth Institute, International Water Management Institute, UNODC, Clean Air Asia, Cities Development Initiatives for Asia, GSEF, the Asia Foundation, Korea Transport Institute, the World Bank, the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank by offering sessions, forums, and interactive programs to explore innovative ways to develop sustainable cities of the future.
Interested cities and organizations may contact the CityNet Secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org to receive the bidding package that includes details on the event and the EOI form by August 30th. Please note that only CityNet members are eligible to host the Congress and the bid will be subject to further review as we will select the most suitable applications.